Pilates Method Alliance (PMA)
Founded in 2001, the Pilates Method Alliance (PMA) is the
The Pilates Method Alliance was formed in 2001 as a professional association for the Pilates community. Its purpose was to provide an international organization to connect teachers, teacher trainers, studios, and facilities dedicated to preserving and enhancing the legacy of Joseph H. Pilates and his exercise method by establishing standards, encouraging unity, and promoting professionalism.
The organization grew, and developed the first all inclusive Pilates-specific educational conference. The conference was a tremendous success and supported the unity of an industry that was rich in educators and practitioners, but extremely fragmented. Today, our community experiences greater unity, harmony and sharing than could ever have been imagined 10 years ago, and the PMA's educational conference model has been adopted by Pilates organizations around the world.
The aim of industry unification led the PMA to develop a third party professional credential (or "certification"), which was launched in 2005. This credential was created through consultation with a wide range of Pilates experts across the field, under the direction of professional psychometricians, and it serves the Pilates community and the public by validating that a Pilates teacher meets entry level standards for safety and competency. By establishing this professional credential, the PMA put into place one of the primary components required for any established profession.
Today, the PMA is both a
The Pilates Method Alliance (PMA) is the international, not-for-profit,
- Establish and maintain a professional certification exam
- Encourage professional growth through continuing education
- Define the parameters of Pilates teaching and expertise
- Maintain standards while respecting the various approaches to Pilates
- Promote the benefits of Pilates exercise to the consumer public
- Serve as an information resource for all Pilates constituents
- Maintain a registry of PMA® Certified Pilates Teachers
- Maintain a registry of Pilates training organizations that includes verified information for review and comparison
- Encourage feedback and evaluate our organization to meet the needs of the community we serve